Kitchen Fire Safety

  • Do not leave stovetop cooking unattended, especially when hot oil or frying in involved.
  • Wear tight fitting or short-sleeve clothing; bulky sleeves can be ignited by burners.
  • Keep towels, potholders, paper and anything else that can burn away.
  • If you have a grease fire, turn off the burner and cover the pan with a lid to cut off oxygen to the fire. Let the pan cool before removing the lid. Never try to take a burning pan to the sink and NEVER use water on a grease fire. Use a fire extinguisher only if you know how.
  • Do not fill fryers more than 1/3 full for deep frying.
  • Keep stove and oven clean.
  • Turn pot handles away from front.
  • Don’t use oven to heat home; it can become overheated and cause a fire.
  • For an oven fire, turn off the oven and keep the door closed until the fire is out and the oven cools.
  • Keep a portable fire extinguisher readily available.
  • Unplug counter-top electrical appliances when not in use.